Many Muslims do not believe in the Evil Eye and just see it as a kind of superstition and those who do believe it know little about it or have the wrong information about the Evil Eye, insha ALLAH we will look at the evidence in both the Koran and the Be Sunnah.
Evidence for the evil eye
- 1 Evidence for the evil eye
- 2 Difference between the Evil Eye and Al-Hasad
- 3 Types of Evil Eye
- 3.1 Evil eye that causes known physical illnesses:
- 3.2 Angry eye that causes a lot of pain:
- 3.3 Angry Eye that causes cramps and shocks in the body and depends on the state of a person such as anger and joy, and these can be divided into 2 groups:
- 3.4 Angry Eye that affects the senses, and this can be divided into 2 groups:
- 3.5 Evil Eye that causes paralysis and can be divided into the following groups:
- 3.6 Evil Eye that causes listlessness or laziness and this can be divided into 2 groups:
- 3.7 Angry Eye that causes bleeding and irregular menstruation, and this only occurs in women.
- 3.8 Evil Eye that causes diseases that are unknown and for which there is no medical cause, and these can be divided into 2 groups:
- 4 Angry Eye of man and the Djinn!
- 5 The properties of the 'Pats (Giver of the Evil Eye) and the Hasid
- 6 How does the Evil Eye and Hasad work?
- 7 What to do to ward off the Evil Eye if you fear being hit?
- 8 Symptoms of Al-'ain (Evil Eye) and Al-Hasad (Envy)
- 9 Ways to discover what you have
Proofs from the Koran
In Surah Yusuf verse 67 it says:
And he said, O my sons, enter not by one gate, but enter in by several gates; and I can help you in nothing against Allah. The decision rests only with Allah. In Him I place my trust and let all who will trust only put their trust in Him. ”
The tafseer of this verse, among others in tafseer Ibn Kathir, states that the reason why the Prophet Yaqub (peace be upon him) said this to his sons, because his sons were all beautiful and he feared that if they came in at the same time, people would get them touch with the Evil Eye, and in Egypt at that time there were 4 ports.
Imam Al-Qurtubi mentions 7 points with regard to this verse that are all related to the Evil Eye, these points can be found in Jaami 'Al-Ahkaam Al-Quraan, in the explanation of the above verse.
Allah says in Surah Al-Qalam verse 51-52:
And the disbelievers, when they hear the admonition, will gladly overthrow you with their looks; and they say, "He is certainly insane."
“No, the (Book) is nothing but a reminder to the worlds. ”
Al-Haafiz ibn Kathir (may Allah have mercy on him) has included in his table that, among other things, Mujahid (may Allah have mercy on him) said about the words, ... with their glances, they will gladly bring you down the Evil Eye to give.
Allah the Exalted says in Surah Al-Baqarah verse 109:
“Many of the people of the Book wish to make you unbelievers again after you have become believers, after the Truth has become clear to them. But forgive and be indulgent until Allah delivers His command. Surely Allah has power over all things. "
Ibn Katheer says in his table that Allah the Exalted warns the believers against the unbelievers of the people of the book who want to touch them with envy (hasad).
And Ibn Taymiyyah (may Allah have mercy on him) says in the book of Iqtidaa Al-Sirat Al-Mustaqeem, that the Jews want to touch the mumineen (sincere believers) with envy (hasad) because of their guidance, useful knowledge and good deeds that they ALLAH have received.
Allah Says verse 54 in Surah Al-Nisaa:
“Or do they envy the people for what Allah has given them from out of His abundance? We gave the Book and Wisdom to the children of Abraham, and We also gave them a great kingdom. "
Ibn Katheer (may Allah have mercy on him) says in his tabernacle about this verse that it is about the Jews who have the Prophet (peace be upon him) envious (hasad) because of the fact that it is someone of the Arabs who has the Prophethood and not someone from Bani Israeel (children of Israel).
Allah the Exalted says in Surah Al-Kahf verse 39:
“Why did you not say, when you entered the garden, 'It is as it pleases Allah, there is no god but Allah?' if you see me as your inferior in wealth and offspring, "
Ibn Katheer (may Allah have mercy on him) says in his tafseer:
And when you liked it when you entered it and you looked at it, you praised ALLAH for favoring you and giving you riches, and children he didn't give to others, and did you say It is as Allah pleases (Ma shaa Allah) .
Here Ibn Katheer therefore comments on the above verse that a person must praise ALLAH so that he does not touch it with the Evil Eye or envy.
And the mufasseer Al-Uloosi (may Allah have mercy on him) says in the book Ruh Al-Ma'aani that this is about turning away an Angry Eye or Hasad and adds a hadith.
The evidence from the Qur'an is abundant, but this must be sufficient with the will of Allah.
Proofs from the Sunnah
It has been narrated by Abu Umaamah Sahl ibn Haneef who said:
"That 'Aamir ibn Rabi'ah was watching Abu Sahl ibn Haneef who was washing (ghusl), and said:"
I have never seen anything like this (so beautiful) such white skin. ”(In another tradition not even the skin of a virgin) After which Sahl fell sick to the ground. They went with him to the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) and said he cannot lift his head. The Messenger of ALLAH (peace be upon him) said, "Do you suspect anyone in regard to him"? They said 'Aamir ibn Rabi'ah. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said:
“Why does someone want to kill his own brother? If any of you see something with his brother that he likes, then ALLAH asks to bless it. " Then the Prophet (peace be upon him) called for water and ordered 'Aamir to wash with it (wudu).
So 'Aamir washed his face with it and his hands up to the elbow, his knees and the inside of his izaar (undergarments) and he (the Prophet) ordered to throw it over Sahl.
(Imam Ahmad in his Musnad and Nasaa-ie in his Sunan Al-Kubra)
In another version, it says that Sahl immediately got better.
We can learn a few things from this hadith.
- The Evil Eye is real, and can have an immediate effect on a person, it can make a person sick, kill, or cause Al-Mass (possession), which we will discuss later.
- Even a good person can give an angry eye, "Aamir was a companion, and therefore belongs to the best people category there is, yet he has given his brother an angry eye, later we will discuss the difference with Hasad.
- People are obliged to thank ALLAH and ask for blessings about what they like.
- Healing the Evil Eye is done by having the giver wash and throw the water over the victim.
- The giver is obliged to wash if asked.
On the authority of Abu Hureira (may Allah be pleased with him) that the
Prophet (peace be upon him) said:
“The Evil Eye is reality (haqq)!
(Bukhari in Kitab Al-Tibb and Imam Ahmad in his Musnad)
On the authority of 'Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her) that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said:
”Take refuge with ALLAH against the Evil Eye, because the Evil Eye is reality!
(Ibn Maajah in Kitaab Al-Tibb and Haakim in Al-Mustadrak)
On the authority of Jabir (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said:
“Most of my Ummah will die after the fate and the pre-disposition by the Evil Eye.
(Al-Bukhari in Tareeg Al-Kabeer and is hasan)
Imam Nawawi says about the above hadith in his Sharh Saheeh Muslim:
In the hadith regarding the foreordination, this is reality, according to the texts and consensus of the scholars of Ahlu Sunnah wal Djama'a, and the meaning of this is that all affairs happen with the will of Allah, and nothing happens except how ALLAH wanted it to happen, and His Knowledge about this was before it happened, and no harm was done by the Evil Eye or other things of good or bad without the Will of ALLAH the Exalted.
And the evidence in the Sunnah is also dozens, but this must be sufficient with the will of Allah.
Difference between the Evil Eye and Al-Hasad
Many people think that there is only the Evil Eye, but they are wrong, there is also Al-Hasad or envy, we will discuss the differences and similarities in order to get a better picture of both.
Shaych Mohammed Al-Ameen Al-Mokhtari Al-Shanqeeti says the following about the Evil Eye and Al-Hasad in Adwa Al-Bajaan:
"And they share similarities" Ain and Al-Hasad in the traces they leave behind (those diseases), but they differ in effect and essence.
Because the Hasid gives envy while he does not even see the person and can give envy over things that have not even happened (for example, someone is envious of someone getting his diploma while this person is still in the initial phase of the training).
And the goal is to hurt the heart (of the victim) because of the many favors that are with the envious one and the intention is to take it away from him or wish that they don't end up with the envious one (the favors). And the giver of the Evil Eye can only give an Evil Eye on what he sees and what is going on at that time and his goal is to fulfill the need of his eyes and he gives an Evil Eye on what he is afraid of it to touch something bad like his children and wealth. "
So here we see the explanation of this Shaych that explains the difference between Evil Eye and Al-Hasad, so it means that everyone can give an Evil Eye, and so it can also come from good people, as we have seen in the hadith of Sahl ibn Haneef.
But AL-Hasad, on the other hand, can only get rid of a bad soul, a bad person who is envious of his fellow man and wants to harm him, this person desires the favors of another, not to get them himself, no, as long as the other but does not have, may Allah save us from meeting such people or Djinn.
And there are even more differences as Ibn Qayyim (may Allah have mercy on him) says in Al-Fawaaid (2 / 233)
Herein the Imam indicates that Al-Hasad is more general and also includes Al-'Ain and this is also the reason that ALLAH has only included Al-Hasad in Surah Al-Falaq and not Al-'Ain, because someone seeks refuge against Al-Hasad at ALLAH this also automatically does for the Evil Eye, but someone who takes refuge against the Evil Eye does not take Al-Hasad with it, and this is again 1 of the great wisdom and wonders that ALLAH reveals to us.
And another difference between the 2 is that Al-Hasad cannot be given to his own family, property, home, etc.
But this is precisely the case with the Evil Eye, because the essence of Al-Hasad is taking away the favor from the beneficiary and who would deprive himself of his own favors, but with the Evil Eye it is different, because with it a person admires and likes his own favors such as his children, property or house, but then does not request any blessings from ALLAH, and so chances are that he will touch them himself with the Evil Eye.
Also being affected with Al-Hasad is many times more annoying than the Evil Eye and its treatment is more difficult, but as some Selef have said Al-Hasad is a disease worse for the Hasid (giver of the hasid) than for the Mahsud (victim of the Hasid).
Because the heart of the Hasid will know no rest and his bad soul is always fighting himself.
Types of Evil Eye
Evil eye that causes known physical illnesses:
And this kind of the Evil Eye causes diseases known to doctors such as cancer tuberculosis and other diseases, and in some cases the cause of these diseases is the Evil Eye and Al-Hasad, and this form is again in the following groups to divide.
Angry eye that causes a lot of pain:
- Angry eye that causes pain throughout the body and this is accompanied by a lot of pain, stress, weakness and being unable to work.
- Evil Eye that causes pain in a part or certain parts of the body, and that even during medical examination find reasons for this pain in the body.
- Angry Eye that causes pain in the body that is mobile and therefore sometimes causes pain in the head and then again in the leg etc.
Angry Eye that causes cramps and shocks in the body and depends on the state of a person such as anger and joy, and these can be divided into 2 groups:
- Angry Eye that causes cramps and shocks in the body but for a short duration, and sometimes this happens mainly with anger or joy, and its strength depends on the person who gave the evil eye.
- Angry Eye that causes cramps or shocks in the body for a very long period of time and this can also be due to external effects.
Angry Eye that affects the senses, and this can be divided into 2 groups:
- Angry Eye that permanently affects the senses, and therefore a person may not be able to hear, see, smell or talk, and the person will remain so forever until the Evil Eye is destroyed by ALLAH and healed by HIM.
- Angry Eye that temporarily affects the senses and therefore one cannot temporarily hear, see, smell or talk and then suddenly it can, and then it can come back after a while and then go away again after a while, etc.
Evil Eye that causes paralysis and can be divided into the following groups:
- Angry Eye that causes complete paralysis and this person is unable to ever move or walk until the Will of ALLAH removes the evil eye.
- Angry Eye that brings partial or local paralysis, so a hand or leg can be paralyzed, and this remains so until ALLAH removes the Evil Eye
- Angry Eye that causes mobile paralysis, so a hand can be paralyzed and then it goes over to a leg etc, and this also stays that way until ALLAH removes the Evil Eye.
Evil Eye that causes listlessness or laziness and this can be divided into 2 groups:
- Angry Eye that causes listlessness or laziness and that always persists, this person always feels tired and is unable to work or do any activity.
- Angry Eye that causes listlessness or laziness but is not constant, so a person can sometimes feel very tired and unable to do any activity and next time he will feel strong and fit as if nothing is wrong.
Angry Eye that causes bleeding and irregular menstruation, and this only occurs in women.
Evil Eye that causes diseases that are unknown and for which there is no medical cause, and these can be divided into 2 groups:
- Angry Eye that causes diseases that are unknown and that affect the entire body and the pain of which is always present, and the doctors cannot find any reason for this even after medical examination.
- Angry Eye that causes diseases that are unknown and that affect a part of the body and the pain of which is always present, and the doctors cannot find any reason for this even after medical examination.
Angry Eye of man and the Djinn!
Ibnul Qayyim Al-Jawzi (may Allah have mercy on him) said:
“And the Evil Eye consists of 2 types of eyes ('ajnaa n): Evil Eye of Man and the Evil Eye of Djinn and it has been narrated by Umm Salamah (may Allah be pleased with her) that the Prophet (peace be) with him) was in her house and saw a spot on her neighbor's face and said:
"Do Roqyah with her because she was hit with the Evil Eye".
(Bukhari Kitaab Al-Tibb nr 5739 and Muslim Kitaab Al-Salaam nr 2197)
Ibnul Qayyim continues and says:
“Huseyn ibn Mas'ud Al-Fara says; and the word saf'a t or nadrat (gaze with the eye), this is from the Djinn, and so he says this is an Evil Eye from the Djinn (Al-Tibb Al-Nabawi page 164)
And Shaych Mohammed ibn Abdulwahhab (may Allah have mercy on him) said:
"And His statement," Wa Minn Sarri Hasideen iwa Ha sad "(Surah Al-Falaq) includes the Hasad of the Jinn and man, for the Shaytaan and his followers envy (Jahsadoen) the believers for what ALLAH means to them favors. ”(Tafseer Sura h Al-Falaq page 30)
When Shaych ibn Djibrien was asked if a Djinn can give an Evil Eye to a person, he said briefly:
“We can say that we are not immune to this, and it is clear that the Djinn consist of air and they can fly in the air and travel great distances and so it is not strange that they can also touch a person with their eyes.
And the proof that Djinn can give a man an Evil Eye is what has been reported by Abu Sa'eed Al-Khudri (may Allah be pleased with him) who said:
“The Prophet (peace be upon him) always sought refuge with ALLAH against the Evil Eye of the Jinn and then the Evil Eye of Man, when the Mu'awidatay (Surah Al-Falaq and Al-Nas) were revealed he used this and let go of what he used for that "
(Sunan Tirmidhi Kitaab Al-Tibb nr 2150)
And in another tradition:
... he sought refuge in ALLAH against the Djinn and the Evil Eye of Man.
(Al-Nasaa-ie Kitaab Al-Isti'aadah nr 37)
The properties of the 'Pats (Giver of the Evil Eye) and the Hasid
Below are some characteristics of the 'Pats and the Hasid (people who give Evil Eye and Al-Hasad).
- You will see that this person usually never praises ALLAH for what he gets, not even when he has something beautiful, whether it is a person, matter or animal and even though he possesses everything his heart desires, the person never asks blessings for it and is not satisfied.
- The person is often annoyed about the Qadr of ALLA H and when the favors of ALLAH do not reach him.
- ALLAH remembers little, but talks a lot about income and wealth and is very busy with the world and bringing these things in.
- He often looks with wide-spread eyes at things he finds beautiful and he looks surprised and full of surprise with disgust in his gaze.
- Always dissatisfied with a dark face and his heart is restless, filled with a disease of hatred and jealousy.
- He always follows and investigates the mistakes of people he envies.
- He will always belittle and ridicule the good qualities of the one he favors or hide them from others.
- He will always insult him and make jokes about him in front of the one he envies, because he deeply hates this person in his heart for his favors.
How does the Evil Eye and Hasad work?
Exactly how the Evil Eye and Al-Hasad work is not proof of it, it is a matter of the unseen, there are certain scholars who have used their ijtihad and stories of people in practice to explain it.
Al-Haafid ibn Hajr Al-'Asqalani says:
If there are several people together, then it may be that through 1 of them poison from the eye of the 'Pats (giver of the evil eye) goes through the air to the body of the ma'joon (victim of the evil eye) and it has been reported from a number of givers of the Angry Eye that they said:
"When I saw something that I liked, heat came from my eye" (Fath Al-Baari 200 / 10)
This is also the explanation that Ibn Al-Qayyim gave in the work Al-Badaaie 'Al-Tafseer 5 / 414-415.
Because this is a matter about which there are no clear texts in the Quran or Sunnah, a person should not go into it too much, I have quoted the texts of these scholars to get a certain picture about the Evil Eye, the picture of the poison corresponds to practice, because often when a person heals from the Evil Eye dirty pus can come out of his body, that was the poison that entered the body through the Evil Eye, this poison can ultimately cause 3 cases ;
- An illness or condition such as paralysis, blindness, being unable to talk etc.
- Possession, the Djinn can cause the same symptoms that Sihr and Al-Mass can cause, such as insanity, death, illnesses, etc.
What to do to ward off the Evil Eye if you fear being hit?
The scholars of Ahlu Sunnah have talked about what a person should do if he fears that he or his property or children etc will be hit with the Evil Eye, I will make a number of statements below.
Shaych 'Atiya Mohammed Salim (may Allah have mercy on him) says:
"And one should say when a person fears that he or his property will be hit with the Evil Eye of people, by saying" Maa Shaa ALLAH, Tabarak ALLAH "raising his voice so that the person he feared (that he hit him with the Evil Eye) hear him, or he performs the Takbeer over himself and his property by saying, Allahu Akbar and this 3 times. ”(Al-'Ain wa Roqyah wal Istisfaa minnal Quran wa Sunnah page 45)
And Ibn Taymmiyyah (may Allah be pleased with him) who said:
"And Al-Takbeer (saying by ALLAHU Akbar) is in the Shari'a also a way of defense against the Shayateen from under man and the Djinn and the Fire which is an enemy to us ..." (Maj moo 'Fatawa 24 / 229)
And Shaych Mohammed Al-Ameen Al-Mokhtari Al-Shanqeeti (may Allah have mercy on him) says:
“And one of the best protections in fear of the Evil Eye is to do Takbeer 3x in fear of the Evil Eye (to be touched with it), for indeed Allah will turn away the Evil Eye and all Praise. ALLAH. ”(Adwaa Al-Bayaan 9 / 650-651)
Symptoms of Al-'ain (Evil Eye) and Al-Hasad (Envy)
If one shows at least 3 of these symptoms, it is advisable to do Roqyah, this does not mean that everyone who has 3 or more of these symptoms is automatically touched or that someone who does not have them is not touched, but if they want to be sure to know Roqyah must be done.
- People are often dazed and want to sleep
- People like to stretch a lot when they wake up asleep.
- Paralysis somewhere on the body.
- People often sweat on the forehead and back.
- Nausea without reason and vomiting.
- Abdominal cramps and diarrhea.
- Spit often.
- During the Roqyah, one has to do a lot of farming and one gets burp from the stomach.
- Sometimes people just feel like crying.
- Parts of the body get cold.
- Tingling in parts of the body
- Lots of itching on the body.
- Fast beating heart.
- High temperature in the body and sometimes this is accompanied by hair loss.
- It blink a lot with the eyes and rub a lot on your eyes.
- Dreaming or imagining that an eye or eyes are staring at you.
- If one is touched by the Evil Eye and becomes possessed by it, then one must yawn a lot while reciting Roqyah, there are also many symptoms of Al-Mass that apply to the Evil Eye.
- Many yawns during the Roqyah also accompanied by tearing eyes, when there is no Roqyah, this is not the case.
- Yellowish face or a black spot on the face or somewhere on the body
- Lots of sweating and peeing.
- Don't feel like eating.
- It gets very hot even though it is cold and vice versa.
- Lower back pain and heavy blocked shoulders.
- Pressure on the chest accompanied by excessive crying for no reason.
- Depressed, little talking and laughing and people think badly about life and wish death.
- Strong emotions, abnormal anger and many psychological complaints such as disillusion and much anxiety.
- Difficult to stand long or to walk long distances or to do heavy work.
- Forgetfulness and sleep when reading the Koran or studying
- Difficult to sleep.
- Certain skin diseases and spots on the skin without medical cause, such as eczema and the like.
Ways to discover what you have
As we have just seen with the symptoms, it is very difficult to know whether someone has Sihr, Possession or the Evil Eye, because the symptoms are very similar and the same symptoms also occur with the other variants, for example someone who has Sihr becomes possessed, can have the same symptoms as Al-Mass. Nevertheless, after much practice practice, the scholars and specialists have, over the years, found certain ways of discovering what someone has, it is not always the case, but very often it is true. I will put Insha ALLAH a number of these ways below so that one can do the appropriate Roqyah for themselves which has to do with the complaints.
1e ways of fixing the evil eye
Recite Surah Al-Falaq in the palms and wipe over the face, repeat this 20 times, if you have to yawn very much, with a wide mouth and you cannot stop this, then this person is probably struck by the Evil Eye, especially if he is doing this watery eyes.
2e ways of fixing the evil eye
Recite the following 2 supplications in your hand and blow into your hands and wipe your face. Repeat this often, if after that you have to yawn a lot and usually followed by tears, then you know it is the Evil Eye.
A'udhu bi-kalimaatillaahi taammaati min sharri ma khalaq (I seek refuge in the perfect words of Allah against all the evil He has created)
A'udhu bi-kalimmaatillaahi taammaa min koellie shaytaanien wa haammaa wa mien koellie 'aajnien laamma (I seek refuge in the perfect words of Allah against every rebellious Shaytaan and beast and against every jealous and evil eye)
The above tests often work with people, but sometimes they do not, but this does not mean that if they do not work that 100% has nothing, the best way to find out is to do extensive Roqyah anyway.